The Gold Coast Amateur Beekeeper’s Society inc. is run by volunteers who want to share their passion for beekeeping and honeybees – come and join us!
Help with Events
Joining our Management Committee
We have a strong track record and reputation in the community and intend to build on this with our plans for the future. However, none of this can be achieved without the commitment of an experienced Management Committee.
What does a Committee Member do?
The Management Committee is made up of members and includes a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. These positions are filled annually at every Annual General Meeting (AGM).
The Management Committee makes all the important decisions about what we should be doing and how we should be doing it.
Our Management Committee Members all commit to the following:
- Have an interest in the well being of the local community
- Be willing to attend events
- Turn up to meetings on time
- Respect the confidentiality of the business of the Association and contribute to the work of the Association in a courteous manner
- Follow the policies and procedures of the Association
How do I become a Committee Member?
Firstly, you must already be a member of the Association. To become a member you need to complete an online application and pay the yearly membership fee. The Management Committee will consider your application and, if approved, you would then become a member.
Secondly, the usual way to become a Management Committee Member is to be elected at our Annual General Meeting (AGM). This usually happens every August. To stand for election, you will need to fill out a Nomination Form and return to the Secretary at least 14 days before the meeting. At the meeting your nomination will be raised. If there are more nominations than available places then there will be an election and all the members present will vote for each person. The person with the most votes will be elected.
Alternatively, if you decide you wish to become a member of the Management Committee during the year, you can be invited to fill any casual vacancies that may exist.
Thirdly, the Management Committee may ask you onto the Management Committee or Sub Committee if you have specific skills and knowledge that you could contribute to the running of the Association.
How does the Management Committee work?
The Management Committee meets once a month via a Zoom meeting.
The Management Committee oversees and ratifies decisions and review governance policies.
Code of Conduct
We are registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC) and we are therefore expected to abide by a Code of Conduct.
Interested in Joining? If you wish to join the Management Committee then please contact the Secretary, for more information. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Why join a Management Committee?
So now you know a little more about the management committee. You are, however, wondering why you should join one. There are many amazing reasons you would join one but we think there are three main ones to really consider.
1. Commitment to the cause An organization always has a cause which it serves, whether it be the local community, sporting group, or giving to international aid. Joining the management committee is a good way to help lead the organization toward their goals. It’s also great if you believe in that same cause, and you want to see that organization give as much to the cause as possible.
This can provide fulfilment that enables members to directly see the impact of their work. This can be seen through the decisions and activities carried out by the management committee.
2. Training ground Being part of the management committee serves an excellent training ground for improving your leadership skills. Starting in smaller community groups, clubs or associations can give you a great experience. This can help you to learn how boards in charities and larger organizations work and what you can offer to them.
3. Increase networks Management committees often meet regularly. It is a great place to get to know a different group of people that have similar passions and vision that you do. It can also help you increase your network, which can either help the cause your working for now or into the future.
All the other reasons
As we said before, there are so many reasons why you should join a management committee. These are just the three main ones that we believe make being on one rewarding. In the end, maybe you just want to join one to see how it works, as long as you find it rewarding it doesn’t matter the reason.